This week’s guest on the Micro Entrepreneur podcast is Lynne Stainthorpe. Lynne is my go to person on branding and this week we talk all about the things you need to know when you are developing your micro business brand.
This week’s guest
About Lynne Stainthorpe
Lynne is based in Bucks and works with small business owners in London, Bucks, Berks and Herts, and home fashion and paint companies based in the UK, Europe and Asia. Lynne has worked in marketing since graduating with a history degree – and finds making brand history just as interesting! She has worked in B2B fragrance and TiO2 marketing and in B2C personal care and home fashion marketing for big companies (see who on LinkedIn).
It was a move to paint marketing which enabled Lynne to combine both her unerring eye and instinct for colour and her delight in developing strong profitable brands, with personality. She has launched and named some of the best-selling paint colours in the UK for Dulux, Benetton and B&Q. And knows how to develop and market home fashion products and services to women.
Lynne believes in making brand building practical and simple for business owners. She uses a simple process to help define what makes you different. Often this is based on your brand story, values and personality. She knows how to apply the language of colour to your brand communications to reinforce your message across your business cards, brochures, flyers and online. And her keen eye for detail means you also get advice on your colour palette, brand imagery and tone of voice.
What we covered in the show:
We started out by talking about the difference between Marketing & Branding and why branding is the most important tool in your marketing kit! And then moved on to the world of branding that all small business owners should take time to think about:
- Promotion & Brand Strategy
- Internal & External branding factors
- Start with Positioning – who do you want to attract, what are the features and benefits of your product/service and what are the values that define your business personality
- Branding for micro-business where ‘you’ and ‘your name’ are the brand
- The challenges of distilling your business into one sentence or one word
- It’s not what you say it’s ‘the way’ that you say it
- Small business branding when you work with corporates
- Branding as a vehicle to build relationships with customer/clients
- The importance of brand consistency
- Using the ‘Brand Wheel’ to define the essence and personality of your business
- Revitalising your business through brand
- Tips for working with creatives and designers
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing – Al Ries & Jack Trout
Please also check out Lynne’s company here where you can sign up for monthly tips!
“If this business was a person what would they look like?”
About the Podcast
The Micro Entrepreneur Podcast is your place to come and hear me talk about all things business for the micro business owner. I speak with experts, authors and other micro business owners and what they are doing to build and grow a successful micro business.
Like the show? Please tell us on iTunes!
If you liked the show and found it valuable and you haven’t done so already I would really appreciate it if you took a minute to leave a quick rating or review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It will open up itunes on your computer and you can leave a rating by clicking on the ratings and reviews tab. It would be extremely helpful if you like the show!